May 1, 2011

Halloween nightmare


I love fancy dress parties. They are so fun! Seeing each person as they come in completely transformed and sometimes unrecognizable is so exciting. So when we received an invitation to a 70’s and 80’s party at a friend’s church I started planning our outfits. I was thinking classic 80’s for myself; tapered pants, loose white blouse tucked in, teased hair, loads of makeup. My ideas for the Hub were a little more over the top; he could grow a mustache, wear a Hawaiian shirt and channel Magnum P.I. Or I could half cut his hair mullet style, or he could sling a gun or two over his shoulders and be Chuck Norris… OK I’m getting carried away, you get the idea.

So I presented my ideas to him thinking that he would be thrilled. Well the reception was less than enthusiastic and I threw a minor tantrum. Don’t fret, we worked it out and I reconciled myself to his outfit: a Pac-man tee (and pants). But the whole thing left a sour note in my mouth, why was I so upset about such a small thing?

Tim Keller has taught me to look behind every sin for the idol lurking in the background. When I looked behind my disappointment with my husband I found an idol alright; the idol of coolness. I realized that part of the reason why I like going all out for fancy dress parties is so that people will think “wow, I wish I could be as bold as her, she is so cool”. And so I was frustrated with my hub because he was not allowing me to fulfill that desire. Lame huh.

James tells us that quarrels and fighting come from the evil desires at war within us . The solution he gives us is to humble ourselves before God. That is to realize that we desire lame things like being cool more than God and those closest to us and that God has every right to punish us for that. 

But that’s not the end of the story. When we humble ourselves James promises that God will exalt us. How will He do this? He already has through Jesus Christ! By believing that Jesus died for us on the cross we receive His righteousness and that is always pleasing to God. It is only the love of the true God for us that will crush our idols. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment