Jan 31, 2012

The person you need is...


Have you and your family seen “Nanny McPhee”? Well if you haven’t then shame on you ;)

(**Spoiler Alert**) 
Mr. Brown’s children are monsters and have driven away over 15 nannies. He is at his wit’s end until he is visited by a mysterious stranger who calls herself Nanny McPhee. There’s a scene in the kitchen that’s a vivid illustration of Romans 1. The children have tied up the cook and are up to all sorts of disgraceful behavior when in walks Nanny McPhee. With a thump of her magical cane the children are unable to stop what they were doing. Their naughtiness escalates until they are about to do something that even they realize is horrific. She has given them over to do whatever their shameful heart’s desire and they must live with the consequences. 

As time goes on and Nanny McPhee shows her care for the children their perception of her changes. What at first they thought was an ugly, old, unwanted spoil sport slowly becomes an attractive, loved lady. 

When I didn’t know much about God I struggled with an “ugly” perception of His character. He seemed judgmental and unreasonable. How could it be fair that He chooses some for salvation and not others? That didn’t seem right. I didn’t like him very much at all. But as I saw the great love this “unlovable” God showed me by dying for me despite my rebellion against him He became more attractive to me. Now I see that He has given me the Bible and good teachers who teach me about Him and the better I know Him, the more I love Him. 

Unlike Nanny McPhee who had to leave when the children no longer needed her, Jesus has promised that He will never leave me, nor forsake me and I’m thankful for that because I know there’ll never be a time when I no longer need Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment